Wednesday 3 February 2010

FAC251

Last month I found out that the people who were involved with Hacienda all those years ago are opening a new Indie Night club called FAC251 the factory. Which to me sounds amazing and I’m sure everyone else in Manchester or ‘Madchester’ will do too, I wish I was around the first time round, hearing all these stories and remarkable bands being formed in this great city. Iv always been fascinated in the Hacienda and went to the exhibition in Urbis about 2/3 years ago. But I know that this club isn’t going to be as ground breaking as the original, and I don’t think they mean it to be, I think their trying to give up and coming talent a chance against all these reality TV shows nowadays.

I love the flyer they have created for the club, maintaining the classic bold yellow and black, using a gloss sheen so it attracts your attention more so than any other flyer. Using Gill Sans typeface to keep a simple structure and not overcrowding the flyer with useless images, keeping us intrigued with a black back cover with simply the logo on. I think this is superb piece of design and I cannot wait to see the inside….


Here is a interview with Peter Hook from NME website:

Interview from http://www.nme.com/news/joy-division/49356

Peter Hook to help struggling bands with his new club FAC 251, opens 5th February.

Former Joy Division and New Order bassist Peter Hook has revealed that he is going to "help struggling bands" with his new club, FAC251Housed at the site of the former Factory Records offices in Manchester, Hook explained that "we're putting our money where our mouth is" to help the next generation of bands.

"When I was starting out I had so many problems getting gigs and it's the same today," Peter Hook told NME.COM. "I speak to a lot of bands from Manchester who say they struggle, as a lot of venues wont let them play unless they sell 50 tickets. They're getting very disenchanted with it all, and that's sad."

He added: "I've always found Manchester to be a very fair place and always wanting to strive and move forward and we're gonna be part of that, and we're putting our money where our mouth is."

Set to open on February 5, Hook also revealed that he is hoping that former Smiths' bassist Andy Rourke will be joining him, former Stone Roses and Primal Scream bassist Mani and vocalist Gary Briggs, to play as Freebass on the opening night.

 As well as showcasing new music, FAC251 will also be "pulling in a lot of favours" to attract established names to the 450-capacity venue, with some big announcements due to be made next week.

Having already confirmed DJ sets by the likes of Happy Mondays' Shaun Ryder, The Charlatans' Tim Burgess, Little Boots, Mani and Hook himself, the hard work isn't over, with building work yet to be completed at the venue.

 "Being an independent club owner is tough, at the end of the day you're gonna stand and fall by how well you run it," Hook explained. "I'm hoping the experience I've had in the 16 years we ran The Haçienda will help and that [club director] Aaron Mellor with his business expertise will be the missing piece of the puzzle."

 For more information, visit FactoryManchester.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment